Politics is about ideologies to me, not so much about candidates. The candidates are supposed to represent the ideologies of the party. Things like race, gender, age – those things are irrelevant, or should be, in the political race. I am categorically opposed to Liberalism because I disagree with their ideologies. I am, for the record, committed to Conservatism because its ideology closely matches my own personal beliefs.
In a nutshell, this is how I define them:
- Conservatism – Government of the people, by the people, for the people.
- Liberalism – Government of the people, by the government, for the government.
- Conservatism – Government getting out of your way so you can live your life how you best see fit.
- Liberalism – Government telling you what you can do, when you can do it, and how you can do it, as it best sees fit.
- Conservatism – Letting you keep most of the money you worked hard to earn.
- Liberalism – Taking most of the money you earn so it can give it to others who will vote for more government.
- Conservatism – Being responsible for yourself.
- Liberalism – Making the government responsible for you.
Government is not our parent, it is not our master. Its job is not to take care of us, that’s our job, to take care of ourselves. It’s not the government’s job to provide for you – that’s our job. Government is supposed to be our servant.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves.